The Land of Fire is an ancient Azerbaijani cultural concept that denoted either the entire Azerbaijan’s geographical land or the metaphysical realm of mortals, and later became associated with political sovereignty and cultural symbolism.
AZERBAIJAN AT A GLANCE
- Republic of Azerbaijan with its unique nature, centuries-old culture and history is located on the western shore of the Caspian Sea, at the eastern side of Transcaucasia.
- Baku is the capital of Azerbaijan.
- The country is distinguished by its rich flora and fauna.
- The territory of Azerbaijan has always been in the interest of archaeologists, so as a result of excavations in the Azigh cave in Karabakh were discovered traces of human civilization 2 million years ago.
- Azerbaijan is a country with an ancient and centuries-old culture. “Kitabi-Dede Gorgud“, “Oghuzname”, “Koroglu” serve as examples which are renowned in many countries worldwide.
- Being bridge between Europe and Asia Azerbaijan also has an exceptional role in the expansion of political and commercial relations and creates a new economic model in the development of the region.
- Population: over 10 million.
- Time: AZT (Azerbaijan Time) UTC/GMT+4 hours.
- International dialling code: +994.
- Voltage: 220V 50Hz
- Currency: Azerbaijani manat (AZN)
- Language(s): Azerbaijani (meanwhile, people can speak Russian, Turkish, and English).
These are places recommended to visit while in Azerbaijan.
- Mud Volcanoes of Azerbaijan
- Musical Stone of Gobustan
- Bottle House of Ganja
- Ateshgah Fire Temple
- Palace of the Shaki Khans
- Hiking to Beshbarmak mountain
- Shirvan National park
- Shahdag National Park
- Chiraq Qala, Gelersen-Görersen Medieval Fortresses
- Gabala – Lahic
- Gabala-Mucuq waterfall
- Krasnaya Sloboda Jewish town
- Caspian Sea beaches
- Hirkan National Park
- Lake Goygol
More information on travelling in Azerbaijan can be found at AzerbaijanTravel
*Some visiting sites require special garments and hiking equipment.